The 18th IETS Executive Committee Meeting was hosted by Norway and ENOVA in Trondheim on May 14-15, 2014. A summary of the meeting will be published on the IETS website.
System and Integration Aspects of Biomass-based Gasification
a Joint Workshop between IEA Bioenergy, Task 33, and IEA Industrial Energy-related Technologies and Systems, Annex XI
The workshop was held in Gothenburg, Sweden, on November 19-20, 2013, and attracted 65 participants from 11 countries.
The overall aim was to initiate a dialogue across the technology/system interface, as well as on methods and results for technical, economic and environmental evaluations of integrated biomass-based gasification systems. Besides presentations and group discussions, participants had the opportunity to go on a site visit to Göteborg Energi GoBiGas, the first industrial scale plant (20 MW product) for SNG production using indirect gasification plant.
The following presentations were included in the Workshop program (for availability, click on title):
- Thore Berntsson, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden: Presentation of IEA IETS
- Alexandre Gaspar, RAIZ Institute, Portucel Soporcel, Portugal: Presentation IEA IETS Annex XI - Industry-based Biorefineries
- Kevin Whitty, University of Utah, US: IEA Bioenergy Agreement, Task 33: "Thermochemical gasification of biomass"
- Hannes Wagner, Technocal University of Hamburg-Harburg, Germany: Gasification of urban biomass residues - Possibilities in Hamburg, Germany
- Martin Möller, DONG Energy, Denmark: Status of DONG Energy Pyroneer gasification technology for high alkaline fuels like straw: An efficient and sustainable method to replace fossil fuels in our energy system.
- Claes Breitholtz, Metso Power, Sweden: Gasification of biomass and waste for production of power; the cases in Lahti and Vaasa
- Henrik Thunman, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden: Beyond 80% efficiency for stand-alone production of bio-methane from wet biomass
- Thomas Kolb, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany: Biomass gasification for BtL - The bioliq process
- Ingvar Landälv, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden: Methanol, a multi source and multipurpose energy carrier alternative
- Reinhard Rauch, Vienna University of Technology, Austria: Dual fluidized bed gasification for CHP and production of advanced biofuels
- Bram van det Drift, ECN, The Netherlands: Chemicals from Biomass
- Ilkka Hannula, VTT, Finland: Bio-based materials and fuels via methanol - The role of Integration
- Simon Harvey, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden: Assessing the performance of future integrated biorefinery concepts based on biomass gasification
- Eric D. Larson, Princeton University, US: Techno-Economic Systems Analysis of Jet Fuel and Electricity Co-Production from Biomass and Coal with CO2 Capture: an Ohio River Valley (USA) Case Study
- Michael Talmadge, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, US: Techno-economic and Market Analysis of Pathways from Syngas to Fuels and Chemicals
- André Faaij, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands: Negative emissions to meet the global carbon budget: necessity and opportunities for bio-CCS concepts
Access the workshop program and the participants list here.
The 16th IETS Executive Committee Meeting was held in Gothenburg, Sweden, on March 21st-22nd, 2013, following on the International Process Integration Jubilee Conference. Delegates and observers from Belgium, Denmark, Korea, the Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, Germany and Switzerland participated.
Minutes and appendices (presentations) from the meeting are available for ExCo members. Please contact the IETS ExCo Secretariat if You have any questions.
The New Secretariat fir IETS, in office since January 1st, 2013, is affiliated to CIT Industriell Energi in Gothenburg, Sweden. CIT Industriell Energi is a consultancy company specializing in effective use of energy systems.
The technical part of the Secretariat are held by PhD Per-Åke Franck, CEO of CIT Industriell Energi. Emmi Voogand, BSc, is in charge of administrative and coordinating affairs.
Contact the Secretariat directly by E-mail: